Search This Blog

Friday, January 30, 2009

Roving!

I posted yesterday, and I forgot to mention my Sheep Shed Studio order?!?!!?!?!?!?!?

First, the background.

I'd never heard of their website until my aunt showed it to me. She said if I was going to order that she wanted to order, too, so we went dutch on shipping. She ended up with 5 lbs of black mill ends. I shopped around on the site and finally settled on 2 lbs of superwash, 1 lb of brown mill ends, and 1 lb of gray wool for overdyeing. I asked for "two contrasting colors" in the superwash. Here's what I got:









I am absolutely in LOVE with the ratio of brown-to-white in the mill ends. PLUS, there's a chocolate stripe in the middle of the chestnut, and oooh, it's yummy! I also am very pleased with the green superwash. The color range is fantastic.

I'm apprehensive about the red. See, I wanted to ply the two colors of superwash together. The trouble with that now is that I HATE Christmas colors. The whole holiday is superficial and commercialized, and not about what it's supposed to be about. I try not to celebrate it when at all possible. Anyway. I don't know what I'm going to do with the red now. It's got orange/yellow places in it, but mostly it got washed out by the red. Yellow's just too fragile when it's not over 50% of the dye used. Virtually none of it remains in the finished product. I will probably end up plying the green superwash with the brown mill ends, but what I really wanted was a hardy yarn that could withstand washing and all that. No felting/fulling! It seems that it is not to be, at this point in time.

So. That's my latest schpiel. Not enough time in the day...

EDIT: I chained the green and red one night out of boredom. They look pretty nice all tidied up :)

No comments:

Post a Comment